This project is comprised of a 4-lot subdivision. The land area was large at nearly 2400sqm and was home to a famous Robin Boyd designed home from the late 1950’s. Robin Boyd first came to notice in the late 1940s for his promotion of inexpensive, functional, partially prefabricated homes incorporating modernist aesthetics. Most of his architectural output was residential, although he also designed some larger buildings including the Domain Park residential tower block and the John Batman Motor Inn in Melbourne, the famous Australian Pavilion for Expo '67 in Montreal, Canada, and the Australian headquarters of the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust in Canberra, ACT, on which he was working at the time of his death.
Boyd was the first Director of the Royal Victorian Institute of Architects Small Homes Service from 1947–1953 and for many years from 1948 he was the editor of this service for The Age newspaper, for which he also wrote weekly articles. The Small Homes Service provided designs of inexpensive houses, which attempted to incorporate modern architectural aesthetics and functional planning and were sold to the public for a small fee, and through this work Boyd became a household name in Victoria.
This existing residence was somewhat dated however it still had its quirky attributes and architectural appeal. It was decided that there was too much value and history in the old home for it to be demolished so instead to has been thoughtfully restored. To help marry this development together the three new houses evenly placed around the existing were designed using similar roof lines and were constructed using complimenting materials to the existing home. The property remains home to some lovely existing trees, which have remained as part of the development scheme.